I am new to this site. I am having a

I am new to this site. I am having a problem with alcohol, red wine is my best friend right now. Looking for a support group in addition to a self health program I am attending. This is hard for me, yes I am a Christian. I am embarrassed and ashamed, and have been hiding my struggle from my family

2 Likes

That last sentence. Yes thats alcoholic feelings all right. Hopefully you can come to terms with the fact you have a disease. Alcoholism. And accept that. It is nothing to be ashamed of or embarrassed about. But it does require you take some action to put that disease in remission. For me AA was the solution. Good luck to you

1 Like

Thank you so much for your support and advice. I am having a hard time, but very hesitant To open up about those two friends and family. This is just the beginning for me. But it means so much to have somebody respond.

Please pardon the grammatical errors, I dictate to my phone because of visual issues and Siri does not always understand me!

I could have written this myself. I am also a Christian who clung to red wine as if it was my lifeline. Was an addict/alcoholic for 22 years. I have been free of addiction now for close to 7 months. Turn to God. Surrender this to Him honestly and fully. He can deliver you. Praying for you tonight :pray:t3::heart:

Carol welcome to the Loosid community.

12 step program could really help you, like it did me and so many others.

Alcoholism is the great isolator. You can trust in that power greater than yourself who many call god to guide you along the path to freedom from addiction and so much more.

1 Like

Thank you sweetheart, that means so much to me. I do turn to God, and I know he does not want this life for me, being controlled by my wine. Praying he will deliver me from this.

1 Like

Sorry Craig, thought I was responding to Missy. But I also thank you for your comments. I am just not yet comfortable going to AAA because I live in a small town and I am ashamed. But I am going to work on this!

welcome friend! very proud of you, me and everyone else on here who won’t let their lives be stolen from them anymore, by the insane lies of addiction. :pray::v:

I'm proud of you for taking a stand, it's not easy, but we've all been here at some point. I get your feelings of shame and embarrassment... know that you aren't alone. That we as humans seek out things that make us feel good in order to cope... and those things aren't always good for us. Consider looking into online meetings in other areas as an option, if you like the structure of AA. Alternatively, there's the SMART program that's works to empower individual coping techniques and behavior modification.

Do not let the enemy make you feel ashamed. Jesus adores you and He took on your shame on the Cross. You would be surprised at how welcoming, supportive and loving the people at an AA meeting are. Don’t let feelings hold you back from getting to one. Everyone is in this together and admitting your problem to others and sharing in the struggles is unbelievably freeing :pray:t3::heart:

AA was and always will be the answer for me. Once I started going to meetings and I understood that I had a disease, the shame disappeared. It is a progressive disease and unless I stopped drinking, the end result would have been "jails, institutions or death".

If you had cancer would you be ashamed to go to a doctor?

1 Like

The stigma of shame associated with our disease can be a killer. I like Craig’s point, “If you had cancer...”
We feel that because it is addiction from our own actions, we should be ashamed. However, I know a lot of folks who got cancer from their own actions. They didn’t choose cancer, they chose to expose their body to cancer causing chemicals. They aren’t ashamed. Their desire to live takes precedence.

Welcome! You’ve come to the right place

Thank you all for yours comments and support. And Missy, thank you so much for your prayers. I am not particularly savvy with the Internet and just learning to navigate this website is a challenge. A little more about me, I am handicap and unable to drive, And for that reason alone I have not going to an AA meeting. If I could do AAA online I would. Have any of you doing it online and is it difficult??

And again, please pardon the grammatical errors. I dictate to my phone and it is frustrating that Siri Does not understand me half the time!

The website is aa-intergroup.org for the online meetings.

Check it out. Other groups like smartrecover.org are out there and less secular options.

Please don't be ashamed. If the Christians you're around are authentic they will not judge but rather love on and encourage. 2 Corinthians 5:17 always helps me. "If anyone is in Christ they are a new creation. The old things have passed away and behold all things are new." This is a great community with solid people with solid sobriety. There is no shame in having a disease. I encourage you to be transparent with your family. When you bring something to light it loses the power it once I had when hidden. You can do this! You're already taking the next right step by reaching out and being honest and that Carol is not something to be ashamed of. You should be proud.

Thank you so much! Please pray for me. I turn 60 tomorrow and I’m determined to, by the grace of God, gain victory over this demon! I don’t want another day to pass with poisoning my body with wine.

1 Like