How do you mend relationships you have ruined?

How do you mend relationships you have ruined? When is the appropriate time to reach out and an apologize? I still feel guilty and ashamed and I feel like "I'm sorry" isn't enough.

1 Like

The best way to begin apologizing is to change the behavior that messed up the relationship before You try making amends. You can tell someone You feel bad for making mistakes or wrong behavior but words mean nothing compared to changing the behavior that caused the damage to begin with!!

1 Like

I think the best thing you could is reach out with honesty and accountability. Address any behaviors that the other party has called out as the reason for parting ways and share your journey of change. Ask how they felt at the time or how they feel about you reaching out to mend the relationship and listen to their frustrations and to their feelings with an open-mind. They might be skeptical to change but don’t let that discourage you from trying.

1 Like

many 12-step programs help people make amends to those they have harmed in the past through a 9th step amends. If righting your wrongs feels like something necessary for your recovery, perhaps give AA or NA a try.

1 Like