How can I go about finding a sponsor?

How can I go about finding a sponsor?

You should pick someone with long-term sobriety. Also, make sure your personalities click. Might even make a list of interview style questions to ask.

Go to a meeting and LISTEN for a sponsor. IMHO a sponsor should have a year or more of recovery time and a working knowledge of the 12 Steps.

1 Like

I agree with everything said so far. It's also nice if you can find a sponsor at a meeting you like. I don't know about you but some meetings I can't stand especially really old timers AA meetings but that's just me.

You just walk up and ask someone to be a sponsor a lot of times in the meeting they do have a portion where people raise their hands that are willing to be sponsors and a part where you can raise your hand if you need a sponsor

Stick with your sponsor but if things get bad you can always fire your sponsor and get a new one.

At meetings they usually have home group members or anyone that wants to sponsor raise their hand. approach those people and have a conversation because they are looking to be of service just as you need the service. I agree with the person that said make sure it is someone you click with, but make sure it’s someone who will call you out. in my experience you don’t want a sponsor who will co-sign your bullshit. They need to push you the right way. hope that helps