Hi, my name is Paul. Just turned 50 this year

Hi, my name is Paul. Just turned 50 this year. And have been struggling with alcohol for quite some time. Like many of us, I am ashamed, I am Embarrassed, and I can fill an entire book with a number of regrets that I have as to how this has impacted my wife and children. I guess I am looking for a place where I can throw my hopes and my anguish to like minded people. I know I can’t change the past, but Maybe I can take some steps to build a better future with my family.

1 Like

Welcome Paul! I understand you're feelings of shame and embarrassment, many of us share those same feelings. As you define this next chapter of your life aligning yourself with a support group, learn new ways to cope and forgiving yourself. Taking these actions will not only aid in your continues sobriety but will work to you having a better piece of mind.

Thank you. I really appreciate your thoughts. I have achieved the subpar state of sober much of the time, but now that I’ve opened up to my family about where I am, and they don’t drink at all now, they recognize any time that I’ve had anything to drink. So in some ways the level of tension is much much higher, and yet another way I am in a better place. I don’t struggle with tremors to write my name on a piece of paper. Isn’t that awful? Have a hard time writing your own name and have it be your normal penmanship?

Paul. You are not alone. I was in a similar place after 25 years of daily drinking. I chose to go to detox and rehab. I did not think I could do it alone. I have been going to a mixture of on line and in person AA meetings. I didn’t want to hear I had a problem for so long. I am 60 days sober today. You can do this.

Paul, I’m your age and quit more than a year ago after being a heavy drinker for most of my adult life. The trigger point for me was when I was diagnosed with mild pancreatitis. When I realized what I was doing to my body I had a complete mind shift. My life is so much better without alcohol and my family and friends actually admire me for doing this. When you quit you don’t lose something you gain. Hope this helps.

Every day is a new one with new choices. Past decisions are done but you can make new choices and have new reactions to life as it comes to you. Be proud of taking the first step in looking at yourself clearly

Welcome to our community.

We have to learn to change the shame we feel into guilt. I am guilty of all that I did. I am not shamed. Shame says I am what I did, and I will never be better. Guilt say I did what I did, and I paid the price now to move on.