Hi. I'm looking for support. I got sober 4/14/19, and

Hi. I'm looking for support. I got sober 4/14/19, and my boyfriend got horrible with his drinking. We're still together & he claims he has 3 months of sobriety now. I still need some guidance as to how to heal from all the pain and damage the drinking has done. I've never done al-anon meetings because of covid. Just looking for some people with similar experienes and possibly some words of wisdom and support.

Thanks!

1 Like

Hi! And great job BTW! I quit almost 3 years ago.. my wife still drinks and its frustrating. The damage that had been caused during the course of drinking will take time to heal.. it takes time. I was 6 months into my sobriety and learned my wife was having an affair. It destroyed me and I still managed to stay sober though it all.. 3 years later, im sober and live in a marriage of convenience to her. I wanted a divorce but it would have destroyed both of us financially and most important our children's lives I feared…my advise is to recognize any contempt among each other and get rid of it.. it will destroy a relationship. I was never able to convince my wife to quit drinking but I'm happy I have… im not a slave to that crap anymore..

2 Likes

Hi Anne. It’s not the same as in person but there are tons of options for online meetings. Have you tried a therapist with a background in SUD? Mine has been instrumental in helping me. :blush:

:pray:Freedom from the addiction is such a relief & empowering feeling! Like now I just get to be me.

2 Likes

I know the feeling I have been sober for 3 years and my husband is still a major alcoholic. Now while the drinking dose not bother me as much anymore, it’s the amount! Unfortunately I don’t have much advice for you in that field him and I have been together for 13 years and are getting a divorce……but being sober has showed me that I do not have to live under his control and can have my own control and I have become a stronger women since!

1 Like

Yep! Being in total control of one's self is personally gratifying. … except cheese cake… i lose to cheese cake..

2 Likes

Hi Anne. I dated someone who drank off and on in my first several years of sobriety. She eventually got sober (and stopped lying to me) but the relationship fell apart. A friend told me to try al anon but I never did. I just let go over time. On the future I know I can't be with anyone who drinks like an alcoholic. Stay strong. Every sober day is a victory.