Hey guys! I'm new here

Hey guys! I'm new here and just wanted to say hello. I've found that since being sober I really had very few true friends. I've been struggling with the absence of people in my life but have no idea how to approach or even talk to people in person due to being way too anxious. Anyways, I'm hoping to make some friends here!

7 Likes

Hey and welcome!!! I realized the same thing after getting sober. Turns out most of the people I spent my time with, were just drinking + partying buddies. I would say to start building sober community online first! That has been way easier on my social anxiety, plus it’s a great time to go digital what with COVID. Have you tried any meetings lately?

1 Like

Welcome! I'm new here also and in Maine like you!

I've gone to one in the beginning but it wasn't a fit. My anxiety has ramped up since and I've driven to some but couldn't get the nerve up to go in so just went home instead.

Awesome! Nice to meet you!

1 Like

Struggling with same thing as well

Hopefully like Allie said online helps

My support consists of just family. It's enough but I miss the "normal" interactions with people outside of family

In my experience one u get into meetings and start to become part of the people u need come to u, I had to stop my life when I become sober didn't know how to function, but today my phone is full of the best friends I have ever had, always there for whatever, and we all do group shit to have fun to keep us healthy it's an amazing feeling

1 Like

Ugh I’ve done that so many times lol thats why I like online meetings too. I can just keep my camera off and lurk/listen in until i feel comfortable enough to chime in

1 Like

I may have to try the online.

Definitely something work on. We are limited in my area so it makes it hard.

I have not tried the online, but I went straight meetings when I got sober and felt at home instantly, I fully enjoy the connection, to be in a room full of people who understand, who don't judge, who will be there when u need them, especially lately this new journey of my has my brain a mess and I need friends more than ever

Welcome

Exactly the same feelings here!

1 Like

Welcome i am new too lol

1 Like

Hi. The only advice I can give is to attend local sober events when our country is safe from COVID-19 to meet other local sober individuals.

I thank you for joining our community. Let me know if you need anything.