Hey guys I’m 27 and have been an extreme alcoholic

Hey guys I’m 27 and have been an extreme alcoholic since I was 18. Today marks 1 week being sober. If you guys have any tips or suggestions I’d love to hear them. Good to luck to all of you on yalls journey and hope u all reach your goals!

3 Likes

That's awesome and congratulations :clap:! I'm so proud of you for knowing that about yourself. For me it was hard to admit I had a problem then. I thought I had "all the time in the world to fix that later." But age doesn't discriminate. You can stop. Remember your health is so important and you will see life is beautiful without alcohol. DM me if you ever need support. Stay strong :muscle: :slightly_smiling_face:.

1 Like

Thats great man!! Congrats! I wish I would have had that kind of wisdom when I was your age. You are on the right path my friend.

Congratulations on your sobriety! Cool to see someone else from Louisiana on here. I wish I'd have stopped drinking at 27 instead of when I did! But what matters is that I haven't had a drink in a few years now. Best decision I ever made!

As far as tips or suggestions, I'm not sure that I have any for ya except to stay away from that first drink!

Congrats on 1 week. What helped me tremendously was going to AA meetings. I went to one a day everyday, some days I even went to two meetings. Sounds overboard to some but I was really fu*ked up! For a long while I lost track I went so often but I needed it and still need it in my life. Keep the plug in the jug my friend! :metal:

1 Like

I just want to start by saying that this is huge, be very proud of yourself that you're making these strides not all have the strength to try and make it out:) stay strong and keep moving forward brother

1 Like

And a tip of mine is to become a regular at your local AA meetings a lot of the tools you're looking for are right there

1 Like

Hi everybody, all great suggestions. In addition to those, maybe some consideration to a recovery routine. As out of control my life was when using, I had a routine. It went like this, I would wake up, shower, drink coffee, smoke some ciggs, then approx.. 11am every day my internal alarm would go off prompting me to get my bottle (didn't matter if I was drinking that day or not). Over time I had conditioned my mind to remind me to pursue my fancy. So to recondition my mind I plugged in recovery oriented things at 11am every day. I would go to meetings, call my sponsor, hang out with my sponsor or others in the recovery community, make my therapy appointments, etc. Before I knew it recovery was on my mind at 11am. Have a great day everyone! :v: out!

1 Like

Congrats Gregory. :tada:

Stay awake from the drink. Stress, bad days, and bad moments are triggers. Figure out how you will respond to a bad day. Will you take a nap, call someone, drink tea, etc.? Just make sure no matter how bad the situation is you will not drink.

Connect with sober folks. Folks who are not only sober but will support you along the way.

Sponsors and meetings have been beneficial to many.

Remember to play the tape through...

I would suggest being of service to others. Like volunteering. To be of service is a great feeling ! And congrats on not drinking ! It IS a big deal. Going to ALOT of AA meetings helped me.

Congrats! This is a big step. Just echoing really what everyone else is saying. Hit meetings, keep yourself surrounded by other sober folks, especially important during early sobriety.

Just speaking from my experience, one of my big barriers in early sobriety was resentments. Especially giving up drinking at around the same age you are. I felt resentful of all my other friends who could drink without a problem. I also felt like the world was judging me or looking at me as being weird for not drinking like everyone else...but that was all in my head. Half the time people are so caught up in their own heads like I was they’re not even paying attention to what you’re doing...and even if they are...none of that matters. It’s all perspective...in those moments of resentment don’t view this as “something you’re losing” or “something you can’t have”...you’re gaining so much more by not picking up.

Keep up the good work!