Hey friends. This is my first time trying to quit

Hey friends. This is my first time trying to quit. I don't have strong urges but I have been avoiding social situations because all of my friends drink. I'm starting to notice situations arise that where I'd usually have a drink (boredom, drink with dinner, eating cheese without wine). I think drinking was a hobby for me. I loved craft beer and trying wines. Another thing I'm noticing is the topic of alcohol is everywhere...movies, billboards, coworkers and friends mention alcohol all the time. I'm 21 days in. Do you have any tips for me on how to navigate these situations?

7 Likes

First things first… Congratulations! I’m def rooting for ya!

Two ideas…

Find or create an image that visually represents why you wanted to quit (keep it cryptic if your afraid of others seeing it). Alternatively, find a quote graphic that reminds you of the person you want to be.

Save the image as your :iphone: wallpaper so you’ll see it during many of those moments of temptation…assuming you check your :iphone: a lot like most people these days.

Get a little 3 x 5 note card or something like it, on one side write the reasons you wanted to quit in the first place. On the other side, have a list of people or resources you can call for support.

Carry it around with you at all times and when those moments arise, see if you can get yourself to take it out and give it a look.

Hope it helps.

— Loby

3 Likes

Thank you! Great idea about the cryptic image. And the card i can keep in my wallet

1 Like

I found milkshakes in the beginning were especially helpful with the cravings... and I'm two years sober now. You can do this. You are stronger than you think you are.

1 Like

Remember, if they don’t cause more mocktails are great replacements to drinking. I usually order something or have a 0 proof something. For me it’s a near beer or whiskey replacement. Drinks seem to always be a huge part of family gatherings so for me, I had to find a place holder. It helps me feel normal and also kinda deflect the questions.

1 Like

Laurie, congrats on 21 days! You just made the best decision of your life, get sober. The benefits on future health out weighs any drunk night, at least for me.
I had to go to an out patient and inpatient treatment for me to get my mind right. Also I joined AA and NA as well as read the Book of recovery dharma. Speaking at group level and putting myself in uncomfortable situations in recovery has helped shape me today. Learning to practice mindfulness skills with meditation and self care. Exercising while eating healthier then I’ve ever done before has made a huge impact on my moods and ability to handle situations peacefully. My ultimate advice is work a program with a sponsor and get in touch with a higher power of your understanding. For me it’s God. God has the wheel now. I’m living life on life’s terms not mine. Mine caused lots of destruction.
I hope this finds you well. Have a wonderful day filled love and peace within my sober friend.

2 Likes

I was going to ask about mocktails! Are they good? I miss wine and cheese...the flavor combo more than the buzz from the wine. I was looking for a good non-alcoholic merit. Where can you find them?

I love a good mocktail. There are non alcoholic wines as well. There is a Mexican soda called sangria. I swear I kept checking to make sure it is non alcoholic, it was that close.

1 Like

Laurie, drinking was a habit for me. So it was helpful replace that habit with another healthier habit. E.g at dinner I switched to ginger ale and it did not affect the experience for me. A change of routine when you would normally start drinking could also e.g to start an exercise routine at that time of the day. Hope this helps.

Social settings can be tough. I always find it easier to have a non alcoholic drink option in hand at all times. True friends respect your decision to abstain but the awkward feeling or pressure isn't there when you already have a 'drink'

2 Likes

Well said David

1 Like

I'm a huge fan of the second suggestion.

1 Like

I love milkshakes. There's a new creamery in town that charges $15 for those fancy milkshakes. I'm not desperate enough to buy one.

1 Like

Wow...$15 is quite expensive

Me neither.

I've had that soda you mentioned. I had the same response. My wife was confused by it too.

1 Like

Laurie, congrats! I also like mocktails, I'm enjoying Monday 0% whiskey. For some the non alcoholic drinks are a trigger, for others it helps. Need to figure out which you are. Cranberry, soda and lime wedge is a solid drink order in social situations.

1 Like

Good ,start at step 1 and attempt to find a sponcer, use the phone :iphone:, get a blender its cheaper, and better

Eating is good! Meetings, and sponsor are crucial.

AA is the way to go, saved my lifs... I'm sure theirs meetings somewhere near you, we are everywhere