Hello! Today is the first day I admitted to myself I

Hello!
Today is the first day I admitted to myself I have a problem with alcohol. It’s also the first day In my recovery journey.

I’m looking into joining a group tonight for support, but wanted to be active on here as well. My roommate just came home with a 24 pack of beer and I’m feeling a tad embarrassed and isolated. Any kind of words of support are welcome!

Yes

If your roommate is going to insist on drinking where you live at, is there any way that you can stay somewhere else? I can tell you for sure that if you are living in a place that is not totally free from alcohol, you are more than likely not going to be finished with drinking. I'm an alcoholic who has been around for a long time and I know how this stuff works.

We can be around alcohol if we have the right frame of mind and we have a significant amount of time under our belt. I'm talking months or years. One of the things you're going to have to change in order to stay free from alcohol is the people that you associate with. This is not an easy decision that you have made and the decisions ahead of you are not going to be easy either but I can assure you that it's all well worth it.

Congratulations on accepting your problem with alcohol. Please feel free to contact me anytime. try to contact Alcoholics Anonymous and they will point you in the right direction. It's also vital that you get some phone numbers and start calling them because you're going to need all the support that you can get.

1 Like

Welp, your first test! Not fair that it is so early. I would start googling zoom aa meetings and just listen in if you want. Dnot be afraid of going to them, there are people just like you there. And aa really is a place where judging others is not really a hip thing to do so give heck if you want :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ugh. That’s a tough situation. Try and keep your resolve, remember your goal. We get sober and go into recovery in a world filled with alcohol unfortunately, it does get easier with time.

1 Like

Hey! I'm excited for you! You'll find lots of support here.

It's great that you have come to terms with needing help. I definitely recommend hitting as many meetings as you can, and finding a home group you like. Your home group is where you really get to know everyone and you can help hold each other accountable. For me, getting a sponsor and working the steps has been a huge factor in removing that obsession with drinking.

It's important to reach out and not isolate, and you're already doing a great job there. There's no need to feel embarrassed about any of this! I'm proud of you

Hey thanks everyone! I greatly appreciate all of you! I told my roommate Im quitting and why I’m doing it and he said he’d quit drinking too and said he wouldn’t have brought beer home if he’d known sooner. i signed up for an online sobriety chat through WFS. I’m hesitant about AA but I might drop in on a zoom meeting. I live in a very religious place and I’m not Christian at all; I know the spiritual aspect is flexible based on your own beliefs, but I’m not sure how comfortable I’d be being the only Wiccan in a group of Christians. But I think it’s worth giving it a chance, I’m just a little wary about it. Thank you all for the overwhelming support! I’ll be checking in here periodically.

2 Likes

Glad to see it worked out. Give aa a try you might be surprised. I'm not very religious and live in a very conservative religious place. Not once has Christianity been pushed on me. AA looks to a higher power, anything but you. You don't have to share what your higher power is if you don't want.

Wow that is an amazing response from your roommate! It goes to show that when we’re honest about our needs, sometimes we can encourage other people to do something good for themselves as well. It’ll be really helpful to have that level of sober support so close to home. AA has its pros and cons. I understand why you’re hesitant due to the religious aspect of it, but I can say with confidence that it’s more of a spiritual program than a religious program. I also know of many people who are not Christian or Catholic and some who are even atheist or agnostic who are very involved in 12 step recovery. And that’s coming from somebody who know longer “does” AA (Mind you, I didn’t leave because of the religious stuff, it was bc of other reasons). Like somebody else said it’s definitely worth giving a shot. There are also a lot of affinity meetings so you might even be able to find one geared towards other people who identify as Wiccan

1 Like