Hello, new here :) Anyone else dual diagnosis? Hope everyone

Hello, new here :slight_smile: Anyone else dual diagnosis? Hope everyone had a nice day!

1 Like

I’m not sure I’ve seen that question asked here before. What is dual diagnosis in reference to?

Ok, looked it up. If depression counts, then yes.

I am. I have ptsd anxiety and depression. Definitely thought drinking would help but makes it worse for me especially the first day sober feeling all my feelings

Sure does! Mental health and addiction are super common together. I have to make sure I work on both.

Oh man having to feel all those feelings again when you first get sober is the worst. Especially when you started drinking to escape that stuff. I can’t imagine what ptsd must be like, but I have bipolar 2 and anxiety and major depressive disorder, and I didn’t stay sober until I got hooked up with a psychiatrist and therapist. I needed help staying out of my head and alcohol was the only thing I knew that could do that until I got help from my drs

1 Like

I do take bupropion (Wellbutrin) every morning and melatonin every night. I still consider myself sober, though my sponsor is rather hardcore and believes that I can get off everything by working the program.

Yes I am

I take Wellbutrin too (among other things). I know I wouldn’t want to go off of something that helped my depression. Would he ask you to go off blood pressure medication because he’s hardcore? It’s the same concept. I know I’m just an internet stranger and I wouldn’t want to say anything against your sponsor, I just know how important the right meds have been for me and that’s why this round of sobriety has been successful as opposed to all the other ones before it. Please talk to your prescribing doctor before you make any decisions, it’s rough out there right now and depression meds don’t affect sobriety :slight_smile:

It depends on if he’s over medicated or not because I was

I do take a blood pressure med and an arthritis med. and I see my doctor regularly and follow his schedule.

I guess my sponsor just truly believes that the 12 steps can work like alcohol did in the beginning. The steps can alleviate the pain and fear. Rigorous honesty if you want what we’ve got and are willing to go to any length to achieve it..

And I guess if caffeine and nicotine are acceptable, we all get to decide where to draw our lines

Dual diagnosis is mental health issues that manifest in substance misuse. The objective is to effectively deal with what cause, for example sexual abuse trauma, then the symptoms. Drinking/Drug use.

Craig,
This is well-said. I often wondered why those substances were acceptable. And who deemed them acceptable?

1 Like

Yes. If there was a triple I'd probably b that too. Lol. Just means any mental health issue coupled with addiction. Often even alot harder to treat.