Has anyone here struggled previously with an eating disorder prior

Has anyone here struggled previously with an eating disorder prior to issues with alcohol? I havent practiced ED behaviors since 2014 and now that I’m trying to quit drinking Im having an issue with intrusive food and exercise anxiety thoughts resurfacing. I hit my rock bottom during that time so im a bit shaken that i have to actively cope with those thoughts and feelings again.

I am in that position. I am 7 months sober. I feel like I used the first couple of binge eating episodes so I didn’t drink, but now it’s sometimes a struggle not to plan them just like I did drinking. I also have lots of anxiety if I try to take a rest day or even a light day of exercising. Both of these were my behaviors years ago. I’m trying to take it as I still have issues that are bothering me that I need to work on. I try to sit and think about what’s going on and try to write down what I’m feeling. Having a little bit of success with the binge eating but the exercise anxiety is always there.
If anyone else has suggestions I’d love to hear them.

1 Like

Honestly it feels so good to hear that someone gets it, thank you so much for sharing. I go to group therapy thats led by a super awesome and highly qualified therapist that specializes in both eating disorders and addiction so im going to talk to her, im sure she’ll have a lot of valuable things to say so ill get back to you. I havent gone back to ED behaviors yet but i did panick and drink yesterday just to quiet those thoughts. Feeling very ashamed since i finally got a week under my belt and i really dont want to have to tell my sponsor :sweat:

My gf of 6 years battles the same thing. She bounces back and forth between active alcoholism and sober but ED behaviors. I don't know how to help her and it's killing me. She is right now in a detox program for alcohol, so I know when she comes home after this week she'll still have the ED behavior that will become an obsession. It's comforting to know others deal with this too, any advice or suggestions to help her would be so appreciated.

I’m not happy others struggle with this but I must say I feel some relief knowing I’m not alone. I never realized other people struggled with both and quitting one addiction would affect my success at the other. Thank you both for sharing.
I live in a small rural community so no ED groups around here.

I had an eating disorder for 9 years before. Addiction isn’t just drugs or alcohol, addiction was also my eating disorder.