First day here

Well, I'm having to restart my recovery from being an alcoholic. A few weeks ago I fucked up and drank about 6 glasses of wine. I drank them an hour before I had to take my benzo for sleep that night. I did that again the next night. To put this in perspective, I could have killed myself doing that.

I'm learning that managing my anxiety is not as easy as I thought. Marijuana helped me move away from alcohol but not entirely. Now I've quit that, alcohol, and my benzo all at the same time while also switching to gabapentin at night and an increased zoloft dose in the morning. Basically lots of extra anxiety that makes me want to drink. I resisted it tonight by grabbing a Dr. Pepper instead. I'd much rather drink caffeine tonight than have even a sip of alcohol. Much easier for me to quit.

Hoping the anxiety gets better after tonight. My support system sucks with the pandemic going on.

Welcome back! Glad you’re here! Anxiety is one of the worst parts to shake IMO but it gets better in time. I’ve withdrawn from benzos, no fun at all. Go slow and be kind to yourself!

1 Like

Me and und u

Me and und uare in the same boat​:wink::wink:

Hey, lady. I'm glad you are here; and found an alternative to alcohol.

I hope you get your anxiety resolved. Have you thought about therapy?

Know that you have a support system here, too.

Benzodiazepines have been linked to epilepsy, dementia, alzheimer’s & degenerative Brain + nervous system disorders.

Here are some alternatives that may help you taper down if you choose to try that:

Mediating Anxiety:

Long walks, breathing techniques, St. John's Wort, lavender oil, yoga (or stretching), prayer (& church) or mantras (& spiritual guidance).

...guided meditation (chimes, gongs + tuning bowls can help incredibly to open the inner eye), writing, catharsis, reviewing and/or reflecting on your day or life,

...uncovering your triggers and healing your spirit body through shadow work, realizing the emotional dissonance from toxic sentiments of others + purging them,

...nutrition (B-12 + D3, L-Thianine, L-Carnitine + L-Tyrosine, Bach Flower Homeopathics, Rhodiola, SAMe, Saint John’s Wort, brain supplements - ie Qualia).

Avoid anxiety pills unless you are having a panic attack or it is an emergency, for they are a bandaid approach that will make your anxiety worse.

Reiki, accupuncture, forest bathing, reading, hot bath or sauna, exposure therapy, hydration, relaxing music (ambient, chillout or psydub).

Mindfulness, self talk, coloring, getting engaged in chores, et cetera.

Shadow work.

Try not to overwhelm yourself. Recovery in a journey. Be happy nothing bad happened. Glad yo recognized & didn't just give up. Keep it in the day. You're worth it!

1 Like

Check out the book “ drop the rock”

It sounds like withdrawal phase. But you are in the right place. You should think off meetings, finding a sponcer, journaling this emotions, affirmations, meditation, more water any time you get urge, or a hobie to distract you from this addiction or just reach out to fellowship. Were here for you….

Hi Laura i can relate when it comes to the anxiety and depression.Im new to being sober-12 days-and the detox has been tough.We can chat if you like

I noticed once I detoxed from alcohol my anxiety went away. Hang in there we all have our battles.

Tony I agree. I didn't really have an anxiety problem until about 5 years ago. Once it hit, it hit strong! It was always the worst during my heaviest drinking periods. Since I have gotten sober it has been fairly nonexistent. I mean we all get anxious at times, but it's totally manageable now without any medications.

Hang in there Laura. We are all here for you. Just remember that those feelings will pass and each day gets a little easier. I hated withdrawal, I felt sick, my anxiety was through the rough, I couldn't sleep, super restless, etc. Just try to take care of yourself as best you can. Water, healthy foods, exercise (even if just a short walk) helped even though I had to force myself to do them. It takes time for your body and mind to heal. Be kind to yourself.