Feelings

Dealing with all these feelings when sober is an interesting experience. Ups, downs etc without numbing it is a new experience for most in recovery. Anyone else have intense feelings or otherwise?

2 Likes

Hey Erik: Welcome to recovery! The answer is “yes,” I've had to deal with my feelings since I got clean just over 3 years ago. Some of them have felt intense. Remember, I am used to numbing myself with drugs. The key thing to remember is that they're just feelings; they don't always reflect what's actually going on. Luckily for me, I have a sponsor and a support group to share with. The key for me is to not suffer through them alone. Thanks.

1 Like

Yes, I do…but I always have, the difference for me now, is I can manage these feelings better.

1 Like

Hey Erik glad you’re sharing about that I felt exactly the same way when I got sober initially. I definitely had not experienced life sober for more than a day for almost 10 years so life came at me pretty hard. the 12 steps, the fellowship within them & therapy helped me make it through that. I still have intense feelings but i have tools to cope & stay sober & sane

2 Likes

I'm noticing that I really overthink situations I also noticing that I get a little bit paranoid I take vitamins everyday and I take my medication for bipolar and it's really important for me to do a really good job at work I noticed that I'm having a hard time dealing with how people think about me especially my bosses and how important it is to work really hard cuz I never really had respect for anyone because of my addiction and it's really important for me to have that

Sounds like insecurity. Maybe that's one of the things you were numbing? Highly recommend listening to Dr Gabor Mate. He would say that you feel this way not because of them but because you feel this way about yourself. Did you have to seek alot of validation as a child?

O ya everything is intenseyour emotions by 10 fold this will taper off

Hi Michele: I'm not minimizing what you're going through, as I have MDD and take medication regularly to manage that. But I find that even though I may think that someone feels this way or that way about me, there's nothing that I can do about it. Nothing. In fact, when I go out of my way and try to get someone to like me, it cause A LOT of trouble for me. That particular habit is something that I constantly have to work on. Thanks.