Everyone in my family (home) is in crisis

It feels like everyone in my family (home) is in a state of crisis. I am having a really rough time with work and when I try to come home and talk it out to my gf or my kids they interrupt me with an “oh yeah, well blah blah blah me me me”.

I’ve written it all out. I’ve inventoried my piece in all this, and now you all get to know what it’s like trying to hire a staff in a post Covid world.

It’s darn near impossible. People on unemployment don’t want to get back to work because the unemployment pay is more than lots of jobs pay. The people who are job hunting literally have their pick of opportunities (at the $12-$17/hr range, which is what we pay for cooks and servers).

We are using staffing agencies which are unreliable and expensive. Additionally there’s not much return on the investment in training a temporary employee because you may never see them again.

It is severely affecting the quality of food and service we are providing. Complaints are through the roof. There is little consistency day to day. And we who do work there are being expected to make up for the lack of staff by working more ourselves.

Working more, of course, exacerbates the problems at home. And my boss is a big drinker who I used to drink with back in the day, so he isn’t handling the stress in a way that is conducive to my sobriety. Not that I’m going to drink mind you, but his inability to control the situation is causing some of those old familiar reactions that I used to have when I thought I could control other people.

So I’m frustrated and I want a break but there’s no light at the end of this tunnel yet.

Aah. Thanks for reading.

1 Like

Hi Craig. I know how you feel-for a slightly different reason. A previous employer didn't penalize employees for poor attendance habits. People like me, who showed up to work, had to complete the same amount of work as if we were fully staffed. We were corrected if we couldn't keep up. I don't miss that kind of environment.

Take this as a learning opportunity. What can you do to help out your employer. What changes can be made because your short staff? Can you close from 2-5 each day? That's typically a non busy time because that is after lunch rush and before dinner rush. This would allow employees a break to recoup and/or allow you all to catch up on work.

1 Like

Wow. I tend to forget about work life balances being SO off kilter,, bc of Covid. Thank u for a refresher in thinking the grass is greener, elsewhere! And... I am blown AWAY with what you're going through, as well as the idea to take this moment as a learning opportunity! SO smart! Thank u for making me think and be more open minded!