Does anybody else feel like addiction also seeps beyond a substance and into personal relationships

Does anybody else feel like addiction also seeps beyond a substance and into personal relationships that you cling on to for no apparent reason other than familiarity like a substance would

6 Likes

I feel like it does define or live in some of my relationships if that makes sense :thinking:

1 Like

Most definitely. In fact that is the cause where use is the symptom. Toxic relationships and trauma have a lot to do with it.

2 Likes

I feel like my disease can manifest in many forms. Anytime I'm using something outside of myself to “fix” me, anytime IMY behavior becomes obsessive and compulsive, any time I'm trying to find satisfaction or fulfillment or even just relief from pain, I need to proceed with caution. I can be completely obsessive in relationships, saving, rescuing, making everything ok for my girlfriend no matter how badly she treats me. It's not good for me. I think that I'm going to earn their love this way but what ends up happening is I become a doormat. And I come back for more. So I need to work recovery in all areas in my life, because I do want to be capable of a happy healthy relationship. I've done enough inner work now to know that it's not all her fault, I have a hand in all my problems and I can work to improve myself. For me I stay clean #1, and then everything else becomes possible

2 Likes

I literally just went through this.. well I've had that since my first husband. I could have ventured out more and probably wouldn't have had a divorce 3 yes now.

What I'm doing now is, if we dont know each other as friends first, I'm not sleeping with them. Anyone can have sex… I'm tired and I would like someone who doesn't mind my past, his past stays in the past as well as mine, and no lying right of the rip… 68-69 BB. Having boundaries and not letting people treat you like you don't matter. I now see that I am always telling people how to treat me because I used to not say shit.

3 Likes

Yes, I didn't realize until I had gotten sober and found myself still clinging to someone so volatile but so familiar/normal. Though it was hard, the further into sobriety I got, the clearer my decision became.

I swear you pulled those words from my head, I've never had someone bring such clarity to how I feel.

Addiction is certainly a symptom of an underlying cause rather than merely using substances being the actual core issue, so it's natural that it would carry over into other areas of your life.

1 Like

I just started attending CODA meetings (Codependents anonymous) and that's literally the focus of the group. Check out coda.org for more info. Literally the best thing in recovery I have ever done for myself. You won't regret it.

1 Like

Definitely. Im trying to move on from a toxic relationship right now. I know it's bad for me. And I feel lonely all the time now.

Didn't even know that was a thing.. wonder if they have any near me

I've had conversations about how normal it is for someone to need a substance to be normal, like it feels like another part of your brain that you need to have. And once you are without it, it feels weird or you feel incomplete. The trick is to tune it out of you're life. Because it's the real you and people like you for who you are. Not something you have to take to have a good time. I have been sober for about 3 months I think and noticed a lot of positive changes. Its definitely a bit of a battle not drinking at first, but once you are able to function without it, you can have more intelligent conversations and more fun. That's how I feel about it.

For me yess 100 percent

Yes yes and yes! i replaced my addiction with addiction to everything else, working a 12 step program around literally all my issues helped me so much. I’m definitely still super codependent but nothing like I was in early sobriety :purple_heart:

I feel that too. I get attached too easily and if I don’t have enough attention from that person I get clingy.

True Story :100:

Completely understand you.