Depression - The Struggle Is Real

Going on day 78 of being sober after serious daily drinking for years. Depression has been a real struggle. I'm on meds and going to therapy, but it's hard to feel better. And it's hard to fight the cravings. It's slowly getting better, but some days really suck. Downloaded this app in hopes of connecting with some peers.

2 Likes

Great job on 78 days. I’m on day 4. Have anxiety, trying meds and therapy as well. Itshard to not want to give into cravings but I know most of problems abs anxiety also stem from the regret I have the day after drinking, until it wears off, convince my self it’s not a problem, and do it again. What a horrible cycle. you’re doing awesome. I hope I’ll be back soon 80 days in too! Keep up with the therapy.

1 Like

I was somehow fully functioning drinking at least 20 shots of vodka/day. After a few years, my body rebelled against me, as it probably should've done a long time ago. The memory of that night and how scary it was has been enough to keep me away, but god is it so hard to change your thinking when you're used to doing everything while drunk. It makes me really down on myself for allowing it to take over my life. Even sober, it still controls everything, just in a different way. It definitely is the hardest thing I've had to do in a long time. I hope you are doing alright. If you need to talk, I'm here!

Keep at the therapy and meds. Chat with your doctor about adjustments you may need, dosage can sometimes fluctuate in recovery

Your doing the work. Depression is hard. Cutting out alcohol is a huge step toward treating it.

Give yourself grace

1 Like

You are doing amazing! 78 days and counting with depression?? That is inspiring to me and I bet so many others. I’m on day 20 and depression has hit me pretty hard the past few days. I just try to keep in mind “One day at a time” and the serenity prayer helps at times too! You got this !!!

Yesterday was even tougher than he day before, but I made it! Great job getting to day 20! That was a big milestone for me and when I started feeling a little more like a "normal" person.

1 Like