Could some of you tell me tactics that you use

Could some of you tell me tactics that you use to distract yourself when you feel like you need to drink? Normally I can do it using ideas on sobriety apps, but an issue at home has me upset and it's a battle right now between sobriety and drinking.

2 Likes

Get outside. Breathe in fresh air, exhale bullshit. Thank the universe.

1 Like

Help another alcoholic

4 Likes

Walk, exercise, write in journal, call another alcoholic, say serenity prayer

2 Likes

Talk talk talk to your people in your corner. Share and tell them how you feel.

3 Likes

Exercise. Tell someone your feelings. Eat something delicious.

3 Likes

Play the tape forward. Recognize drinking won’t solve the problem you’re facing at home. Dealing with it in a sober state of mind and not drunk or hungover is far better, IMHO.

1 Like

I go for ramen. I write. I take a walk. I read. I watch fail videos on YouTube. I play video games. I visit my sister and brother in law(and play with their dogs). I visit my nephew's and their babies.

-I try to do anything that promotes my recovery and preserves my life.

1 Like

Go for a walk . Early in my recovery I went on dozens a day. Going to the gym helps too.

1 Like

Read chapter 2 There is a solution in tge AA Big Book. Next read Chapter 3 More About Acoholism. Highlight anything you can relate to. Do some writing afterwards. Go for a walk. Stay in the present moment by appreciating nature. Get out of self by helping someone else.

1 Like

Exercise is a big deterant for me, then cooking or cleaning. If the urge is really bad, I just tell myself to wait one more hour. Then another and eventually it becomes manageable again

PRAY! :pray:t2: Dont know how to pray? Just talk to Him. Like you would a friend. As for help, peace, strength, wisdom.

Do some paced breathing, sit in a comfortable position and close your eyes. Recognize the feelings in you're body. Imagine a peaceful place of your choice. Identify risky thoughts and behavior. Replace them with healthy self talk. Recovery is a new start a new beginning. Don't beat yourself up over the past, just be in the present and know you never have to drink again.:hugs::hugs::heart:

1 Like

Agreed or i drink extra hot tea or coffee for a different sensation in my mouth

Deep breaths have helped me tremendously. I just need to remember to do this exercise more frequent.

Helping others definitely put things in perspective.

All this!

I know when I am stressed taking a hot bath and turning off my phone helps a lot. I can definitely put things in perspective.

I find a good book or video game. That and make sure I am around other sober folks.

Write out a list of everything and everyone you are grateful for.