Compulsive nighttime Overeater

I can’t stop compulsively eating chocolate bars.... not just little ones like big ones. I stopped cigarettes and alcohol entirely and now need to tackle my last unhealthy addiction - eating sugar. I am substituting I know that my addiction controls my thoughts. However I have smoked marijuana regularly for 17 years for insomnia, body aches and pains and have had no problems with it at all. The pot isn’t killing me it’s my eating that is. What do I do when I can’t stop myself?

1 Like

Most of know this, too. We tend to pick up a new addiction when we stop using. It's normal.

On the bright side, you choose food instead of another substance. That's pretty awesome in my opinion.

You stopped smoking and drinking. If you can stop you can give up eating chocolate as often as you do.

Have you considered chocolate almond milk as a substitute? It's creamy and has much more vitamins and nutrients compared to dairy milk. Or what about a chocolate peanut butter smoothie?

2 Likes

That sounds interesting. Thank you for making me remember those milestones. I know I can I just have never gotten this far before. And extremely stubborn. It’s a mental thing

I stopped drinking over 4 years ago but I just stop smoking 3 weeks ago. I think smoking was harder. I'm taking chantix and for about a week I was loosing my mind. Getting better every day now for the last week

I heard giving up cigarettes is more difficult than giving up drinking.

This may sound funny but I use the chew and spit method. Chew the chocolate and keep in your mouth Savor the taste for 25 seconds and then spit it in a cup. Works for me

1 Like

It was rough. I don't know if it was nicotine withdrawals or the chantix but I felt bad mentally and physically. But had no desire to smoke

I’m a chocoholic. I’ve woken up with mysterious chocolate on my pillow. After apparently sleep walking and sleep eating ice cream. I find that chewing gum can help combat the impulse to eat.

I, too, heard the same thing about chewing gum.