Coming from a family of addicts is difficult

Coming from a family of addicts is difficult especially when I made the choice of sobriety. An entire family of longtime and new addicts that were not taught proper communication, morals, and how to express love is very difficult for me to navigate. Each time I reach out I feel hurt and disappointment. I get tired of being called to sensitive or treated disrespectful and plain out ignored because I want to do better. If I was a disaster I would get more attention from family. I see why sober is definitely a one man show. But we still are human. I don't judge anyone for there choices or depend on them for my happiness. I guess I have to stop expecting to build healthy relationships with unhealthy people. That can't be done unless sobriety is their goal, right?

Be an example to your family. Sometimes people don't do better because they don't know better. Don't give up on them. After they see how beneficial sobriety has been to you they may fall into your footsteps.

I been sober a year and I don't even speak about it with family because they treat me like an outcast. My mother never got sober and died. None of them think or admit they ate addicts. Lots of Borderline Personality Disorder and narcissistic abusers. I come from a family that would tell me I wanted to “be white” just because I didn't want to drink anymore. I hear what you are saying but this is why I stay connected but its also hurtful that the reality is none of them may ever want sobriety with healthy relationships. Once my mother died I have been more realistic about the person in front of me instead of the person I wish they were. It keeps me safe in relationship s when I live in reality but its very lonely world when it comes to navigating my family. Its difficult to make sober friends during COVID. I don't know if its where I live but addicts are everywhere. Everyone drinks, uses pills, or harder drugs. Its become the norm to be on something. The stress of the pandemic is not helping. Its a very stressful time for all that are sober. I can deal with my family but I can't even visit them which is also hard.

I am in the same boat of coming from a family of seven siblings that have problems frim years of alcohol and drug use. I like to think I am strong enough not to be bothered by their meanness and disrespectful ess, but if caught off-guard, I loose my cool. I am not drinking again after several relapses and really want to keep on the right track.

1 Like

if you feel like you don’t fit in with your family, maybe you don’t. But still show them compassion. I think your doing great! :slight_smile: Stay sober today and your future will benefit with REAL friends when covid is over.

1 Like