Can you be in a relationship with a person who

Can you be in a relationship with a person who is not sober if you are trying to be sober?

2 Likes

Its possible, as long as they respect you and your journey in sobriety. My mans is straightedge so its defiently easier to stay sober with him. However, habing a talk with your person about what helps you and what you are both willing to do to help you is probably really important!

2 Likes

Ha

It's possible. Just damn near impossible.

2 Likes

Tricky…how solid is your foundation? Has your obsession to drink or use been lifted from strenuous 12 step work?

1 Like

That's a big, complicated question. I think it mostly comes down to you and your individual situation.

For me personally, no, I can't. It sucks because it seems like most of the dating pool drinks or smokes, but I'd rather be single and sober than be in a relationship where my sobriety is at risk. It's hard enough for me not to drink as it is.

Either way I wish you good luck

1 Like

That depends on you, your triggers, and how much he's willing to support you.

Is your sobriety more important than your relationship.?

2 Likes

No

I'm 8 mos sober today but my wife continued to drink wine although she asked me if I minded a lot and I can honestly say I didn't. I don't know how you drink but I didn't drink that way. if I couldn't drink till I thought I was done I'd rather not drink at all. your sobriety and wether or not you can be involved with someone who drinks is a question o my you can answer not anyone on here. There are always exceptions and there are no concrete rules except don't drink lol. That being said I will tell you this. be very selfish when it comes to doing what you need to do to maintain sobriety. I hate to say that but it's the truth and this is about you not your partner right?

1 Like

Program

family

work

pFW

You sound smart u won’t be able to as a new comer how important is being sober

Sometimes I think it can be harder for the other person as they may not want to trigger you. I've always been upfront about it. Now, just speaking personally, I think being with a sober person is the best relationship for me.