"But all who are in the least reasonable will agree

"But all who are in the least reasonable will agree upon one point: that there is plenty wrong with us alcoholics about which plenty will have to be done if we are to expect sobriety, progress, and any real ability to cope with life." Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions (p. 38).

Take away the drink and the drug, I had no idea how to deal with life.

Alcohol wasn't my problem, it was my solution. I couldn't out-run, swim or bike my alcoholism. The drink/drug was an accelerator of my emotions, good or bad. It was an avoidance protocol to not deal with things I needed to deal with. And finally, it was a trip to oblivion - not the kind of oblivion I set out for, but my own personal hell that quickly spiraled into depressive episodes and suicidal ideations.

I do the work as if my life depends upon it because I am clear that it does. As as result of the work, I found sobriety and as a bonus, I found tools to live my best life.

Last weekend I did a half Ironman in St. George, UT. Today I race with a smile on my face because I know I am no longer in the hell of alcoholism and drug addiction.

#theadventurecontinues #anythingispossible #sober

4 Likes

This is so awesome, thank you for the share! :clap:

1 Like