Are the first few days the hardest with stopping smoking

Are the first few days the hardest with the stopping of smoking weed?

1 Like

I have a lot of experience with this (unfortunately😏). Heavy smoker for 20 years. I have ‘quit’ several times and each time it took anywhere from 12-18 days for it to ‘flush out’ and stop feeling like I had the flu (insomnia, shivering, sweats, emotional breakdowns/irritability, nausea, etc.). But I smoked all day, every day.

I believe it comes down to the individual and the amount you’ve relied on it. Hardest part is all those detox symptoms make you WANT to smoke weed to feel better, but you gotta push through. One day, you just feel good and be surprised by it!

I’m 52 days free of weed and alcohol after having taken 18 months off before relapsing, so I just went through it all again.:woman_facepalming:

Best advice- just give yourself space, compassion, and allow yourself to REST a lot. Exercise can help to if you have the energy, but just allow yourself some Grace as you move through it. Eat what you want, watch movies, get some fresh air (pun intended!:laughing:). You can do it!:raised_hands:t2:

4 Likes

Wow, what a great answer. I will take that advice. It’s the not sleeping and other symptoms that make me nervous. Thank you so much for your suggestions!

First few days are the hardest With anything you quit

1 Like

What is it that makes you most nervous?

1 Like

To quote a friend of mine..."quitting smoking is easy. I've done it once a week for years.

1 Like

To quote my friend Jerry, “the first days are the hardest days, don’t you worry anymore, but when life looks like easy street there is danger at your door”..

But Jerry said a lot of things.

1 Like

What helped me is this thinking: "I'm not going to smoke for an hour." Then when that hour was up, I'd say "wow, that wasn't so bad! I'm not going to smoke for the rest of the night", then when I'd wake up, I'd tell myself "I'm not going to smoke before noon." And after noon came, it would go back to "no smoking for the rest of the night."

Take it hour by hour, day by day if you have to. It terrified me to think "I can never smoke/drink again" and setting shorter term, attainable goals, was a great alternative for me until I did build longer bouts of sobriety (3 years last month!)

Be firm with yourself, but if you DO make a mistake, show yourself grace. The whole world tries to knock us down every day. We don't need to do that to ourselves too.

I hope you're able to reach your goals in sobriety :heart:

4 Likes

Thank you for your insight. I really appreciate it. So far so good at 1 day and 20 hours. Taken it from moment to moment. Thanks again

1 Like

I got some pretty bad anxiety and nightmares when I stopped drinking. It kinda scared the crp out of me.

Understandable. Hopefully not the same this time with quitting pot. Hang in there!

1 Like