Anyone have a significant other with combat PTSD in recovery

Anyone have a significant other with combat PTSD in recovery and have experience with the nightmares and hyper vigilance?

I'm not sure if there is a bunch with a S/O who fits that crteria, but I'd say there are a few that are combat vets that self medicated for a while.

1 Like

Oh I definitely know there are. My fiancé has nightmares and it’s exhausting when he’s struggling because he doesn’t remember most of them and I don’t sleep much and then I find myself tired and cranky. We are 6 months sober so it’s still a struggle some days but it’s so much better. The self medicating didn’t really help us much as we thought it did when we were doing it lol

I have a few vet friends with similar stories. The nightmares aren't a joke. He's lucky he don't remember them. Is he in therapy? I know there is a stigma around PTSD treatment, but it does help.

2 Likes

He did the ptsd clinic and therapy before but not since we got sober. It’s been better since the Freind’s we had staying with us left and he hasn’t hirt me in his sleep for a while but it’s exhausting. One guy at our meeting has that happen a lot and I know his wife too but they weren’t married when it was really bad.

Now that he is sober you might encourage him to go through PTSD counseling again. It may be more helpful while sober.

2 Likes

Yeah I think so, I thought about that we just haven’t had time with all the other stuff been going on. We just got a place after living in a shelter a few months

Thank you for replying!

I'm glad you got a place.