Any addict can stop using, lose the desire to use, and find a new way to live

Any addict can stop using, lose the desire to use, and

I read a medical article that one your brain is rewired with addiction memory you will never truly lose the desire to use. This is why people like Philip Seymour Hoffman relapsed after 20 years clean during a stressful time in his life. It makes since that addicts will never truly forget that their substance of choice has a numbing effect to squash depression and anxiety. Its really the definition of self-medication. That being said its also very true addicts can choose sobriety for the remainder of their lives.

I was 6 months into my alcohol sobriety and learned my wife was having an affair with one of my best friends… it completely broke me… I thought I would run directly for a bottle of bourbon but realized it could have made matters worse and somehow stayed sober through all that incredible madness.. Everytime I think I'm going to be weak and give into alcohol, I remember how strong I was during that difficult time and tell myself, life can't get harder than that and if I survived that without a drink, I dont need one now.

Thinking your going to be weak is an example of addiction memory. I guess this is why non-addicts can never truly feel what an addiction is like especially during relapse and sobriety. Our brains are wired different especially after years of using. I tried to end my life a year ago and my mother died from an overdose six months ago. I was still able to stay sober an entire year this month. Yet I still remember how using can numb all those feelings or shut down the noise of anxiety and depression. I just choose sobriety like yourself.

I have a friend 20 yrs clean from coke. He still wants it every day