Advice?

Hello,

I have been trying to remove drinking from my life for 3 years. Been sober for a little and gone right back to drinking, over and over again. I would often tell my friends that “I’m done drinking” or “I quit“ and after awhile they stopped believing in me. (like the boy who cried wolf). They are great friends but, when they don’t believe in me it triggers me to drink. Any advice?

Hi, Gene. You gotta believe in yourself. You have to stop allowing others' perception of you to drink. One of the best things you can do is prove them wrong.

You owe it to you to get sober. You want an improved quality of life. You want to remember what you did the day/nighy before.

You should redo your steps to sobriety. Attend meetings regularly. Find a sponsor. Tell yourself daily that you're going to be sober. Connect with others in sobriety. Avoid people, places, and things that trigger you to drink.

I know how you feel. People didn't believe me. I decided drinking didn't solve my problems. Drinking either added to my problems or made them worse. Talk to friends. Let them know it hurts they don't believe you and you need their support.

2 Likes

Don't tell them you are quitting. Just do it. When they see you are nor drinking they will believe it. As maya angelou said in the much to used quote, “when someone shows you who they are, believe them.”

I also had the same issue. Even when I got sober people in AA didn’t think I’d stay sober- people who hadn’t met me. It’s crazy to think that was the case but I’m here over 4.5 years in and now people definitely believe me and My good friends think I’ll never drink again. They couldn’t imagine me drinking or using. But that took a long time, I think like a year really to have my old friends believe I was serious, same with my family, maybe only a few months for them bc they never saw me last more then a few days. try not to care what they think, show them with action that they are wrong. You can do it‘