Anxiety and depression is more difficult sober

Kyle
What your feeling right now is completely normal. You're exactly where you are supposed to be at this stage of your sobriety. It gets better. But the biggest pitfall is trying to do this alone. I've been sober for a long time but I remember what it was like in the beginning.

I just couldn't understand how people could have a good life without picking up a drink. It just didn't make any sense to me. As I rediscovered myself by taking the 12 steps and growing one day at a time I found that I really had a lot to offer the world and wasn't much different than anyone else. I just couldn't drink.

Hang around, go to meetings, take the steps and it will get better.

And as far as panic anxiety and depression goes, they tried to tell me one time that I was clinically depressed. They started prescribing antidepressants. I had flying ambitions and soon after learned that if I started taking these antidepressants I would be temporarily disqualified from qualifying for my medical card.

I immediately got rid of the antidepressants (consult with your Doctor first)only two or three weeks into the whole deal and decided to start going to meetings. I decided that I was going to learn how to not be depressed. Fast forward 19 years, I'm doing pretty good and I don't require any medication. The only thing I needed was to change some things about the way I was living my life. Everything seemed to work out for the best. I don't know if you can relate to that or not but I just thought that I would throw that out there. I hope I helped somehow.

1 Like

Hope it gets easier for you bud, you are stronger than you think. Just by acknowledging your problem on here is a great accomplishment in you dealing with your stress. Maybe use this as a tool when u start to feel panic. Good luck

Well said, your reply helped me thank you

1 Like

Thank you all for the advice, and more importantly, the understanding.
I decided to take start with spending a little time outside and seeing the sun for a change.
I went and spent an hour sitting by the river. It was not particularly easy for me. I had to use some breathing exercises a few times, and my mind was in an anxious fog the until I made it back home.
Despite all of that, I feel a significant sense of accomplishment for making it a full hour. I can’t help feeling a bit ridiculous for feeling accomplished for trying to relax by the river, but it is what it is.
Thank you again for listening. I really needed the outlet.

Even if you're sober for a few hours or 24...the fact is during that time...you tried...and may have saved your life or someone else's. The only regret people should whether it's an addiction or someone's broken heart...that you're here shows you have not lost it and that you really do care. Every moment were sober changes our life or someone else's. Choices...that's what life is all about. Just challenge yourself to make that right choice.

1 Like

Kyle,
Have you considered going up in an airplane for a discovery flight? You go up with a flight instructor and they have you take the controls for most of the flight to give you an idea what it's like to fly an airplane. Pretty darn exciting! I don't know how much clean time you have but I know that getting to the point where our lives make sense is challenging for everyone. From the research I've done, people that get on medication for depression, anxiety, bipolar and whatever else I didn't mention, seem to be chasing the right medication around for the rest of their lives.

I'm not a doctor but it makes me question whether or not medication really does anyone any good at all. I've heard that they only work for a while and then sooner or later you have to switch to something else. In the beginning around 2003, I was diagnosed as clinically depressed. They started me on antidepressants. I went for nearly three weeks when I discovered that I would temporarily be disqualified from qualifying for my medical card which is required to fly airplanes.

I immediately got off of the antidepressants and decided that I was going to find a way to make this all right without medication. Fast forward to now I'm doing just fine. It's going to take some time to discover the new you. Along the journey you're going to find some different interests.
The journey can be exciting but we have to get out there and explore. Just my view for whatever that's worth.

That would be awesome if it helped me, but I am terrified of flying. I have horrible panic attacks every time. It is my very least favorite thing to do.

LOL
Oh well
It was worth a try.
For you it might be something else. You just have to find it.
Maybe learning to play an instrument or paint. How about writing? Keep searching and let me know if you find something that really sparks your passion.

1 Like

I am working on it. I recently took up making horrible digital art.
It’s been amazingly helpful. When I am in a bad way, I can completely lose the time concentrating for hours on it.
It’s not booze, so despite the end result, I call it a win.

Wow
That's sound like a very modern creative skill set.
What about writing code?
I've done some exploring in that area and I seen some remarkable things you can do with code. I understand that people that write code can really make good money too

I am a Systems Engineer in real life. Writing code can be frustrating as all hell, but extremely rewarding when you make a logical leap or breakthrough.

Exercise and quitting drinking has helped me tremendously. I found an all women gym and I love the healthy relationships from there

1 Like

That is awesome! It is important to have a place outside of your home where you feel comfortable and accepted.

Alcohol as a coping mechanism you have to try to fill your time with positive things like exercise or playing music we’re just being with people. The more time you go without alcohol the easier it gets. You just have to take it one day at a time.